Thread: Money to Burn?

MLB ERA

Money to Burn?

Apparently Will Carroll said this morning on Baseball Prospectus radio that the word is the Reds will have up to $25 million to spend during the offseason.

Here is the link to the program:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ra...439f981a983791
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Additional items that relate to the above:

"Should fans assume that the Reds will be just as aggressive in pursuing players this winter as they were in targeting two national broadcasters?"

"Absolutely," Castellini said, without hesitation. "Absolutely."

AND

"I'll just throw this out to Wayne Krivsky," the Reds' CEO said at a Tuesday afternoon press conference. "If you can put together as good a team on the field as John Allen has put together in the broadcasting booths, we'll be in the World Series next year."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....611010333/1027
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I got one word for that... BULL! This team isn't going to do squat in FA.

:quitely hopes the Reds sign Barry Zito:
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Optimism has just flown in. WOW! This makes me very excited. Castellini still strikes me as a guy witha purpose and a guy who stands by his word. He is still looking to "Bring Championship Baseball to Cincinnati."

I guess now we can start expecting a lot of things to happen this winter. Zito may not be out of the question.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    I got one word for that... BULL! This team isn't going to do squat in FA.

:quitely hopes the Reds sign Barry Zito:
    Jason Schmidts our man. Maybe older but doesnt have BorASS as his agent and didnt pitch in that golf course of a ballpark Zito did.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Knowing this team, it will be Jeff Weaver and he will revert to his former self.
    rf28

AAA ERA
    well the thing to remember is that Most FA that are worth anything are guys who are looking for the big payday.. so usually teams will have to Over Pay for a player.. that and usually the situation is that there are only a handful that are even close to being worth it.. I would like to see a list of who is out there.. the only thing I can hope for is someone who is dominate but in a small market right now..

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Here is a list for who is on the FA market:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

One thing we have to remember guys is that this is a new regime. Yes, we could expect more of the same "Bull" to go down if we still had Lindner and DanO at the helm. But the fact is, we are seeing a brand new front office and a brand new way of doing things.

I think Castelinni and Krivsky are going to go hard at someone like Schmidt or Zito and possibly an A-Rod or Lugo. 25 million can come close to covering some of these contracts that they will get. But the only problem is, we have to outbid every single team out there. So maybe Zito does become a Yankee. Then we take on Schmidt. Then say ARod becomes a Cub. Then we grab Lugo.

I know Krivsky is aware of the lackluster talent on the FA list. And he is also aware of the owner opening his wallet to get top grade talent. Now it is just selling Cincinnati and the Reds to these players and hoping they come forward.

Remember, ARod has already come through Cincy and has talked to a "higher up" (Richard Skinner quote) in the Reds organization. So something could be started already there.

I am just extremely optimistic in that we have a new front office and they are telling the fans that the money is available.

AAA ERA
    well, Zito and Schmidt, are clearly the only two that I would be interested in, but as i stated, it would pretty much cost us